With the new year comes new pressures, new stresses, new opportunities, new uncertainties, and new relationships. These things can cause us to question ourselves and feel unstable within certain aspects…
With the new year comes new pressures, new stresses, new opportunities, new uncertainties, and new relationships. These things can cause us to question ourselves and feel unstable within certain aspects of our lives. I find that at the beginning of the year, I can feel the most overwhelmed. We want to make this year better than the last. That is why we need all the affirmation and support we can get when the new year comes around. Feeling confident in our choices and decisions, and we need to feel like we are going in the right direction. We can’t always count on our friends and family to affirm us in the ways we need, so that is why God’s word is a great place to find affirmation. It is filled with advice and wisdom to lift our spirits and give us the confidence we need to press on. Here are some words of encouragement from the Bible to affirm yourself daily during this new year.
- Luke 18:27 – “Jesus replied, ‘What is impossible with man is possible with God.’” This verse could make us step back and say a big “whaaaaat?” All things are possible? Seriously? God can make all things happen if we just lean on Him? Our Christian life is to be a continuous proof that God works impossibilities. Our lives are to be a series of impossibilities made possible and actual by God’s almighty power. That is what we need. We have an almighty God that we worship. The transformation of a heart coming from dark to light (unsaved to saved) is a miracle. God is working miracles every day.
- John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Take a second and think about this verse. I’ve grown up hearing it, reading it many times, but it will never get old because it is what I live for. It’s the purpose of which you and I can come to the cross daily and ask for forgiveness and move forward because we have a loving Father. He loves us yesterday, and he will love us tomorrow. What a love.
- Philippians 4:13 – “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Notice that the verse does not say “I can do some things, or most things”. When we give up on trying to solve our own problems and issues, and we take these things and lay them at the foot of the cross. Placing our complete faith and trust in God and His ability to take care of these problems and issues, we are renewed and we no longer have to carry the entire burden ourselves.
- Romans 8:28 – “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” When I read this, I get so encouraged knowing that in no matter the circumstance… He is faithful. I can trust that He has an intricate plan for me no matter the highs and lows.
- Hebrews 13:5 – “I Never will I leave you;never will I forsake you.” So often I need to be reminded of this. He is a personal God, and He wants to know and love us through whatever hurt or confusion may come.
Spending daily time with God and diving into His word is vital to grow and sustain your faith. Think of it like working out. When your faith needs to do some heavy lifting, you will be ready because you have been “exercising” in God’s word daily.