Sometimes a little “me-time” is good for the soul. We are around people most of our days, and connected to people by our phones 24/7, so there is not a lot of time spent by ourselves. Being alone allows us to really get to know ourselves, what we like, what we dislike, and what we really think without being influenced by outside opinions. Here are a few of my favorite things to do when I need some time with me, myself, and I.
- Go for a run or hike. Georgia is beautiful and has lots of great outdoor exercise options. Also, my parents live in Colorado so there are endless hikes when I go and visit! It is good to keep your phone on you and let someone know where you are going before you go, just to be safe.
- Explore your hometown. You may find a new place to eat, a new place to work out, or even a new cute boutique to shop at. And, you are on your own time, so you can take as much or as little time as you want at each place.
- Go eat a certain kind of food that you have never tried before. I typically like to play it safe and eat things that I know I like, but sometimes it is fun to go outside the box.
- Try a workout you have never done before. I would love to try ariel yoga, where you hang in the air and stretch. It looks crazy fun!
- Do some volunteer work. Doing things for others is a great way to not only give you a “fulfilled” feeling but also do some major good.
- Be as un-productive as you want for one day. Having a lazy day every once in a while is healthy. Give your brain a break and zone out. Binge watch your favorite tv show, take a long nap, catch up on reading, or do whatever makes you feel relaxed.
- Clean out your closet, your room, anything that needs purging. I love going through my closet and my room and getting rid of things I don’t use or need. I almost feel cleansed afterwards. Going through my stuff makes me realize how little I actually use on a daily basis, and how few things I really “need.”
- Go for a drive with no destination in mind. Grab a coffee and hit the open road. Take back roads you have never explored before. Go drive to the next town over and explore. Driving with no end poit in mind is freeing!
- Do something you have been putting off. For me, this could be as simple as cleaning out my car. It is something that needs to be done, but gets put on the back burner more often than not.
- Go for a long bike ride and explore your local trails. Back home in Illinois, we had a great system of bike trails. You could ride all day and never see the same thing twice.
- Teach yourself a new hobby. I have always wanted to know how to garden, so this is next on my list of things to do solo. Growing my own fresh food sounds like a great challenge.
- Soak in a bubble bath with a good book. Any excuse to relax and read is a good excuse in my book.
What are some of your favorite things to do when you have some time to yourself?