We all get stuck sometimes. Stuck where we feel like our life is not going the way we thought it would, or it is not really going anywhere at all. Maybe you are in a job that you really don’t like. Or maybe what you are studying in school isn’t turning out to be as great as you thought it would be. In these times it is important to stop and reflect and remember what you are passionate about and what you love in life. This is not as easy as it sounds, but here are a few ways to help you get there.
- Be present: It is easy to put yourself on “autopilot” and just go through the motions of every day. One day we will realize that years have passed and we may feel like we have missed out on doing the things we love to do! Start paying attention and living in the present. Take time to notice what is going on and where you are in life.
- Pay attention to how you feel: To find your passions and discover what you love in life, you must let yourself feel things. How will you know what you are passionate about if you shut off feelings of joy and appreciation and excitement? Those emotions can be hard to let ourselves feel because we think that if we let them in, they will probably lead to disappointment. Not always the case.
- Learn to put yourself first sometimes: It is important to think about others, but it is also important to give yourself value as well. Finding your passion is about finding yourself, so learn to put yourself first when you need to.
- Take pride in your accomplishments and your abilities: Realize what you are good at it, and don’t minimize it. Be proud of it! Find out who you are and what you are good at by “dating yourself.” Ask yourself questions like you were on a date with yourself and were wanting to get to know you. This will help you realize your skills and talents. Brag on yourself a bit!
- Write it all down and reflect: Keep track of your thoughts from #4. Write down what you have learned about yourself and use that to help you find what you are passionate about and what you love in life.
And lastly, pray about it! God will reveal to you what you seek if you ask Him, and He will do it when He knows the time is right. Finding your passion can give you so much joy and fulfillment! When you are doing the things you love, life is good. When I realized that my passion was speaking to others about Christ and giving advice, it changed my life.