The start of the year is a great time to detox, whether it be a nutritional detox or otherwise. I have been trying to do some media detoxing by deleting apps that tend to suck up my time, and then re-downloading them at the end of the day. It forces me to be more present and stay on task. Media detoxing looks different for everyone and comes in all shapes and sizes whether it is all media like TV and the internet or select media like social media. Here is an easy 7-day plan to follow if you want to try a media detox for yourself.
- Unsubscribe and unfollow. Give your social media a good purge. At the beginning of the year, I like to do a scroll through my list of accounts that I follow and unfollow people or accounts that bring me down or take me to an unhealthy place, unsubscribe from channels that I’m no longer interested in, and give myself a clean and healthy slate for the year. It is amazing how much our mental state and emotions are affected by the people we follow.
- Stay media-free until 10 AM. Like I said earlier, your definition of media may include TV and the internet and social media, or it may mean a combination of them. How many of us wake up and go directly to our phones to check social media? Instead of reaching for your phone, grab a book and do a morning devotional.
- Stay off media until 4 pm. This is going to be much harder than staying off until 10 AM. But, you can do it!
- Stay media-free until bed time. You may start feeling something like withdrawals during your media-free day. You will most likely find yourself reaching for your phone to scroll through Instagram every so often, but use that time you would normally browse to do something that is more fulfilling.
- Read or watch only three things. Whether it be one show on Netflix and opening your Facebook and Instagram apps once, the choice is yours.
- Only open one app all day. Choose wisely!
- Go media-free for 24 hours. After the week of cutting back you’ve had, this will feel like a breeze!
Starting your year with a refreshed mind and spirit is a very good way to start.