Winter: a time when the air gets dryer, the temperatures get lower, and our skin becomes dryer. Oh the joys of winter! Most people try to take care of their skin extra well during this time of the year, but many don’t realize that their efforts are actually causing damage to their skin. Check out these common winter beauty mistakes to make sure you don’t do them yourself!
- Cold winter winds can leave our eyes dry and watery. Unless you plan on wearing sunglasses every time you’re outside, be sure to apply an ultra-rich moisturizing cream in the morning and night to protect your eyes from the chilly temperatures.
- Did you know that taking a hot shower can actually be bad for your skin? I know I’m guilty of this! The hot winter can pull out moisture in your skin leaving it dry. Instead try a warm shower or be prepared to lather on the lotion.
- When your skin gets dry and flakey, it’s easy to break out the exfoliator. Exfoliating will remove the dry, dead skin cells, leaving your skin smooth, but over-exfoliating can also get rid of new, healthy cells. Keep the exfoliating to once a week.
- Replace alcohol based products with hydrating formulas.
- Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you can’t get sunburned. Never forget your SPF, especially if you live in an area with high elevation.
Love your winter skin!