One of the most unfortunate facts of life is that the foods we tend to love the most are the ones that are the worst for us. McDonald’s French fries for example. Ugh. Not only are a lot of the foods we love bad for our body, they are also bad for our skin! Just how bad are certain foods for your skin? Let’s rank them from bad to worst.
- Sodium: Eating too many foods that are high in salt leads to flaky, dry skin because sodium absorbs moisture. Foods like soy sauce, cured meet, instant soup, cheese, and fast food are all high in sodium. So if you are going to indulge in them, make sure you stay hydrated to keep your skin from drying out.
- Wheat: Wheat is difficult for our bodies to digest and can lead to breakouts. Wheat is in a lot of the other types of foods that aren’t super great for our skin, like processed baked goods and high-glycemic foods. Watch out for wheat!
- Dairy: Consuming dairy can aggravate your skin, especially if your skin is prone to break outs. The dairy in foods like yogurt, cheese, ice cream and milk may stimulate the oil production of your skin which causes breakouts and, well, oily skin! If you are a dairy lover like me, try and find the “fat free” dairy products, which are found to not contribute to acne.
- Processed foods: These foods have a lot of additives and preservatives, plus other ingredients that can cause inflammation of your skin in the form of redness and blotchiness. Watch out for processed baked goods like muffins and donuts!
- Sugar and high glycemic foods: When sugars bind to proteins and fats in our bodies, it creates molecules that age our skin. They aid in wrinkle formation and can dull our skin tone. They can also cause fluctuations in hormones that can over-stimulate our oil glands which triggers breakouts! Avoid foods like pastries, bagels, candy, sugary cereals, and juices with hidden sugars to avoid breakouts and premature aging.
Now, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t eat any of these foods ever. Just consume them in moderation! A pastry every once in a while is not the worst thing in the world. Just try to minimize how much of these foods you eat to avoid their adverse effects on your skin.