It’s that time of year again: cold, flu, and low-immune system time. Even people with the healthiest diets can fall victim to sickness. Here are a few foods to help you recover faster and feel better when you are under the weather.
- Liquids: Lots of liquids! You may not feel like eating solid foods, but you need to make sure you are taking in a lot of fluids. Teas like ginger and peppermint tea and ginger ale are great if you have an upset stomach, and hot liquids such as tea with lemon help with a stuffy nose. Green tea with honey also supports your immune system and coats a sore throat.
- Yogurt: Studies have shown that the probiotics in yogurt shorten colds and the flu by almost two days!
- Citrus fruits: Oranges, grapefruits, lemons and limes contain flavonoids which increase immune system activity.
- Protein: Easily digestible proteins like eggs or yogurt are great for your body when you are sick because protein strengthens your body. These two options are also really easy to make so you don’t have to spend much energy on them.
- Glutathione: It is a long word, but it is a powerful antioxidant that fights infection. It is found in watermelon, broccoli, collard greens, kale, and cabbage.
Being sick is the worst, so that is why God gave us foods to help us recover and feel better!