Many people hate the winter. Cold winds, icy roads, and gloomy days are the cause of a bad mood in the winter. So how can you keep your spirits high in the winter?! Follow a few of my simple tips to kick away the winter blues.
- Keep the smell of peppermint around! Studies show that the smell of peppermint can increase mood and decrease stress. Try lighting a peppermint scented candle or rub some peppermint oil around your nose.
- Get some sunlight! Yes, it might be cold, but on sunny days go outside! Buddle up and go for a walk!
- Eat healthy. Winter includes Thanksgiving and Christmas, which means lots and lots of food. The average person gains 5 to 6 pounds during the holiday months. Weight gain can lead to a decrease in mood. Try to fill up on fruits and veggies. Your body will thank you!
- Treat yourself! Go get a pedicure or massage, spend your Christmas money and gift cards, or go out for a fancy dinner. Make yourself feel good!
- Get enough sleep at night. When you get around 8 hours of sleep, you are more likely to be energized and happier the next day. Jump in bed early!
- Exercise! Exercising releases endorphins, hormones in the body that make you feel good and lifts your mood.
- Do something good for someone else! The holidays are all about giving. Volunteer at a shelter or make your parents a homemade present. They will love it!
Don’t let the cold weather and gloomy days keep you down! Get out, get up, and do something! I promise, if you follow these tips, you’ll have the best winter ever!