Social media is both a blessing and a curse. Once something you put online is out there, you can’t take it back! With how often us teenagers log on to Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc., we need to learn the ropes for what NOT to do on social media. Here a little guide I like to live by:
- Don’t start an argument! We’ve all seen those Twitter fights that we know the person will regret later. Don’t try to “subtweet” anyone just to push their buttons. Be the bigger person!
- Don’t be inappropriate/offensive. Ever hear the saying “think before you speak?” Well… you should think before you tweet too! First of all, don’t say or do anything you wouldn’t say in person. You might think you can get away with posting something inappropriate, but chances are, your teacher/coach/parent will see it. It’s definitely not worth it!
- Don’t deal with relationships online. I’ve seen breakups happen and escalate for everyone to read on their feeds. Keep that private! Chances are you’re just making the relationship worse. The best way to solve your problems is face-to-face!
- Don’t be afraid to be yourself! One of the coolest things about social media sites is the freedom to express yourself. If you’re into photography, Instagram’s for you! Maybe you write poetry and want to tweet it for others to relate? Don’t hold back if you want to show your creativity :)!
- Don’t associate with people you don’t know. This has been told to us ever since we could first use a computer. Stranger danger is actually a thing! Be careful!
Although there are many things to think about when logging into your account, the main thing is to make sure you’re having fun. Don’t overthink it :)!
Good luck! – Chels