Not only is dating scary, FIRST dates are even scarier! You usually don’t really know the person, you are nervous, the buildup of the whole thing can give you date-induced…
Not only is dating scary, FIRST dates are even scarier! You usually don’t really know the person, you are nervous, the buildup of the whole thing can give you date-induced anxiety, and you want to be able to put your best foot forward and make the best impression possible. Here are a few ways to beat the nerves and put your most date-ready self out there.
- Put your phone away: Checking your phone in front of your date tells them that you are bored and not interested in them. If you have to check your phone, excuse yourself to the restroom and do it there. It is the polite thing to do!
- Ask questions: Ask them about themselves, and not just the everyday questions like “what do you want to study in college” or “what kind of job do you have”, ask things like “what has been your favorite place to travel to” and “if you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be”. These kinds of questions let the person know that you are interested in their likes and also helps you learn more about them.
- Stay positive: Even if they were late to pick you up or if you had a bad day, try and stay positive and optimistic during your date. Positive people are likeable people!
- Stay away from talking about your ex: If you recently got out of a relationship or even if you haven’t dated in a while, stay away from talking about past relationships. If they ask, just say that it didn’t work out but you learned a lot and leave it at that.
- Be honest: At the end of the date, if you had a good time, say so! If not, just say thank you for taking you out and leave it at that. Don’t play games, just be honest. Honesty is attractive!
Dating can be rough, but it can also be a lot of fun! Keep these tips handy for the next time you need to make a fab first impression.