If you are in a long distance relationship like me, you know how hard and emotionally rough it can be. Relationships are already a lot of work, so add in…
If you are in a long distance relationship like me, you know how hard and emotionally rough it can be. Relationships are already a lot of work, so add in distance and you’ve really got a challenge! I strive to be the best girlfriend I can be, even from a thousand miles away. Here are some of my tips on how to keep your relationship strong despite the distance.
- Give him your full attention: When you are on the phone with him or skyping, get rid of distractions. You want him to know that when you are talking to him that he has all of your attention. You want to make the most of the little time you have together.
- Be the “friend” in girlfriend: Be his best friend! Be the one who they can talk to and share all of their hopes, dreams, and fears. Ask him how his day went, tell him the funny parts of your day, and just be a friend! Things don’t have to be romantic all the time.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff: Don’t focus on the negative and don’t pick fights. When you focus on the negative, all you will see is negative!
- Love something he loves: Does your boyfriend like football or a certain band? Ask him about how his favorite team is doing or download some of the band’s music and discuss it with him when you talk to him next. Watch an episode of his favorite tv show with him over skype. By sharing in the things he loves, you are becoming closer and you are showing him how much you care!
- Don’t text him allllll the time: A few texts during the day is just fine. You both understand that you are busy, and feeling like you have to constantly keep texting each other can make you feel a little stressed. Wait until the end of the day to catch up on everything, it will give you more to talk about when you are together or when you have his undivided attention. Plus, he needs his space and you need yours!
Long distance relationship-ers…I’m with you! I feel your pain! You are not alone. We got this. J