Our world is a beautiful, wonderful place that is meant to be traveled and explored. That being said, it is also a dangerous place to travel for a woman traveling solo. When I travel I take a parent with me as often as possible, but I know a few of my friends that have traveled solo or with another girl friend. I’m also starting to travel a lot more on my own. Traveling solo can mean a ton of freedom because the only person you have to worry about is yourself! But, there are a few things girls need to know before they go off and travel by themselves, just for safety reasons. Here are a few of the super-important ones.
- Fill your family in: Before you leave, give your family back home your itinerary. Let them know what your travel schedule is, where you will be staying, and other such info in case they need to get in touch with you or if something goes wrong.
- Take photos of important docs: Keep photos of your passport, ids, ticket numbers, and reservations with you or in the cloud online so you always have access to them in a crunch.
- Pack light: This is so that criminals are less likely to rob you. If you are towing a large suitcase with a Coach purse on your arm, you are more likely to draw a robber’s attention. Small bags are also easier to get around with.
- Don’t keep your money in one place: Keep some cash and a credit card on you, and then keep another set in your bag, and then another at the place you are staying just to be safe.
- Don’t wear both headphones: Stay alert by only wearing one headphone. If you have both in you are less likely to hear if anything sketchy is going on around you.
- Bring a selfie stick: Solo travel means no one is there to take your picture on a moment’s notice. That is the beauty of selfie sticks! Plus, it means you don’t have to hand your camera to a total stranger to take a pic of you.
And, above all, have fun! Just have a safe time while doing it. 🙂